Jabber Server

Questions and suggestions about PPI, site and community, goes here.

Moderator: NoEwS

Jabber Server

Postby Florian Hufsky » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:28 pm

Hi,

the austrian pirate party is working on setting up a jabber server.
if other pirate parties are interested we could turn it into an server for pp-international an all pirate parties.

jabber = instant messaging + voice chat.

cheers,
Florian
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
-- Margaret Mead

PP Austria: Piratenpartei Österreichs
Florian Hufsky

Postby Andreas Käiväräinen » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:46 am

The Swedish pirate party has a jabber server up and running...
The problem in sweden is that we haveused Skype for so long now that no body wants to take the extra work to learn a new im system... Skype works fine and I dont really see the ide of changing.

Sure jabber is a open source program and thats kool... But come on all people that use jabber also worships the gnu-bible
Andreas Käiväräinen

Postby Florian Hufsky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:53 am

In Austria we're currently in the same situation.

How is the jabber migration coming along? How are people responding? How many did people didn't migrate?
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
-- Margaret Mead

PP Austria: Piratenpartei Österreichs
Florian Hufsky

Postby John Nilsson » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:56 pm

Andreas Käiväräinen wrote:The Swedish pirate party has a jabber server up and running...

That may be true, but I haven't seen any announcemnts about it, and last I tried the experimental server it didn't work.

Skype works fine and I dont really see the ide of changing.

I don't know about others experience, but for me (Ubuntu Linux) Skype was quite unusable, it used 100% CPU (Athlon64 3200+) and was generally unresponsive.

ure jabber is a open source program and thats kool... But come on all people that use jabber also worships the gnu-bible

Which is something to be worked on, in general more pirates should be worsiping the gnu-bible. The fact that most doesn't must be general un-awarenes of the FSF-politics.

Every pirate should take a few moments and listen to some of Eben Moglens speaches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Moglen.
Or Richard Stallmans for that matter: http://www.sweden.fsfeurope.org/documents/rms-fs-2006-03-09.en.html
John Nilsson

Return to PPI